Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EITC Computation

FrankK
Level 4

I started entering client data for a 2021 into the early release of ProSeries Basic.  The program is computing the EITC, even though taxpayer and spouse are both over age 65. Has anyone else observed this?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes. The law changed.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes. The law changed.

Ex-AllStar
FrankK
Level 4

Hmmm... Searched the IRS web site, and their instructions still show that taxpayer must be > 65.  Must be COVID / Supply Chain delay in updating their instructions. 😞

0 Cheers
FrankK
Level 4

Missed it in the ARPA changes.  Thanks!

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Frank, must be GREATER THAN 65?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
FrankK
Level 4

No, I missed the fact that ARPA lifted the upper age limit.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Time to sign up for some CEs! So worth the money for someone else to gather up all the new little changes and put them all in one place for you!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
FrankK
Level 4

Ordinarily, none of my clients would be eligible for the EITC.  It just happened because of this particular change and a lower income year for this client. (who is a good test case for the software due to the number of forms associated with the client's return).

With respect to CPE, this issue was not covered in my "individual tax update" CPE provided by my state society.  I sent a note to the CPE provider, as others might miss this change too.