Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFIN for new purchaser of ProSeries.

dp3
Level 1

Hi,

My ex-client purchased ProSeries to prepare his own taxes. I gave him 2021 tax file and he successfully transferred the information into his 2022 return. However, he was told he has to have an EFIN number, and the application takes 45 days. Can he use my EfIN number?   

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

No you can’t just give him your number.  Have you thought about him giving you a backup file and you transit the return?

Slava Ukraini!
dp3
Level 1

Hi,

Hummmm that’s an idea but I would have pay for another return. 

thanks for the response 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, the client can pay you for the fee or they can paper file.  It's their choice.

Slava Ukraini!
ljr
Level 8

is this ex-client a close friend or relative? You just lost revenue and now you want to generously give him your efin number to file his taxes. Wonder how many more returns he will file for his "friends" using your number. Do you have E&O insurance?

rcooley25
Level 11

Why in the world would you ever consider giving him this file. He was given a copy of the previous years tax return and at this point your obligation to him ends.

I cannot believe that you would consider letting him use your federal ID number.

That is like giving him your social security number.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

A few days ago we talked about some of the questions being ask and I replied that with some of the questions being ask I  wonder what in the world are these people being considered qualified to do tax returns. This is a fine example of what I was talking about.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

45 days is not very long for someone who has an extension until October 16.  And then the problem will be solved for the rest of his life, right?

A friend who filed a paper return in February told me yesterday they had the refund in 11 days.