Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efiling

pomalley
Level 1

We prepare all of our entity (100+) returns and the two principal owners of the company internally as non paid preparers.

Can we just obtain 1 EFIN # under our company name to file all of the returns?  Or do we have to obtain and EFIN for each different entity and individual?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The firm thats doing the EFILING of the returns needs the EFIN.

I see you chose ProSeries Basic as your Product, you wont be able to file Entity returns with Basic, you'll need Professional.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
pomalley
Level 1

Thank you Lisa.

So just to clarify, our company can obtain the EFIN to file all our returns for the different entities and individuals?  Even though, we prepare the returns as "non-paid preparers".  There are only 2 of us that actually work on all the tax returns.

Also, do we need to obtain any sort of filing # for states?  We submit entity and individual returns in I would say 10 different states.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you could file returns for other businesses just like any other paid tax preparer, and you are allowed to file them as a Non-Paid Preparer

Youd have to check with those states, I know NY requires you to have a preparer registration number if you're not an EA/CPA, I feel like theres one other one too, but I cant remember which.   

OR and CA have some preparer requirements but only if YOU are located IN those states or if youre soliciting people in those states for tax preparation.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪