Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Education Credits with Form 1098T but school not showing in DAPIP - Eligible?

MariaR
Level 3

I may be having a "foggy brain" moment but I can't seem to find any info on this.

Situation: Individual taxpayer went to a vocational/trade school for cosmetology. Received a properly filled out 1098-T showing tuition paid of $7k. Taxpayer would be eligible to claim based on income and whatnot.

This particular school is not listed on the DAPIP (Database of Accredited
Postsecondary Institutions and Programs). Per IRS: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/eligible-educational-ins...

So of course, to the taxpayer, they totally believe they are eligible because they were given the 1098-T. But if the school is not on the DAPIP, does that automatically rule it out from either education credit?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Maria

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
MariaR
Level 3

After a little digging, here's what I found on this particular school's FAQ webpage:

- Do you offer federal student financial aid?
No we do not participate in Title IV funding.

So the fact they do not participate rules them out, right? Could it be they are "eligible" but "choose" not to participate? Maybe I'm reading too much into this LOL

Here's where I'm at... They issued a proper Form 1098-T and everything looks right, except their website saying they do not "participate" makes me rule them out and say we cannot claim education credits.

Thoughts?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I've never had a client with a 1098T from a school that I was unsure of the accreditation.

This doesn't help but it does push your question back to the top. 

Hopefully someone with the answer will take a look and help out.