Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E filing an amended return

Nancy 16
Level 2

I have e filed some 1040x amended returns with no problems. I know that you are not allowed to e file more than 2 1040x returns for the same year. It seems that the last update to the program is not allowing more than one amendment to be e filed. Is that correct? It is very frustrating to not have that information flagged in diagnostics.  Is there any way around this, I need to file an amendment, the second one, and have it to IRS as soon as possible. The mailed in paper return will take too long.

Thank you for any input or advice you can provide.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, thanks for your patience. We weren't able to replicate this, but I got some feedback. 

Check out this article under "How to amend a previously amended return": Amending an individual return (1040X) in ProSeries Review step 19, check the "check this box to file another federal amended return electronically" box. By doing so, it clears out the electronic filing status from completed to ready.  

If you're still having trouble, please contact us to sanitize a client file in ProSeries and we have a closer look: 800-434-6818. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
George4Tacks
Level 15

Mail or e-mail is about the same amount of processing time.  Getting it right the first time is actually the best choice. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I didnt realize we ever had the ability to EF more than 1 1040X

In the past 10 years I think Ive only had to amend an amended return maybe twice and that was before they allowed Efiling amended returns.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Nancy 16
Level 2

I am amending the return on behalf of the original preparer who did the first amendment incorrectly also. I personally haven't had to amend a return that I prepared in a long time. I agree that returns should be done right the first time.  I also believe that constructive criticism is a great tool but should only be given after the question asked has been answered. You should not respond unless you are answering my question!!

0 Cheers
Nancy 16
Level 2
  • Thanks for the answer to my question.  I appreciate people who truly are helpful!!! I'm sure my client will appreciate all the knowledgeable people here as well.
Nancy 16
Level 2

Please see my reply in this chain...it is the 3rd response

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@George4Tacks "Mail or e-mail is about the same amount of processing time."  I agree with that.  What I don't understand is why someone would claim on Thursday, "The mailed in paper return will take too long."  It could be there by now if it had been mailed then, right?  Perhaps there is a reason for the extreme urgency.  Maybe trying to catch up with the first amended return that someone else filed.  Would a couple days really make a difference?  We'll probably never know.  

Nancy 16
Level 2

You have still not even attempted to answer my question but continue to be critical. IRS takes 16 weeks to process an e-filed amendment, per their website. It takes longer if the 1040X is mailed in...again per their website. The critical issue is to keep penalties and interest as low as possible for the taxpayers. You need to keep your accusatory remarks to yourself and behave professionally, especially if you are unable to answer a question!!!

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Those of us who understand the IRS procedure know that the return goes through the same levels of review, whether e-mailed or paper, and the only difference in processing time is delivering and opening the mail (for which they are now caught up). IRS doesn’t say that e-filed amended returns are processed any faster: “As of June 24, 2023, we had 1.35 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and the current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks.”

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-status-of-mission-critical-functions

Penalties and interest are assessed only to the date of payment, so the best way to minimize those is to pay when you file the return, either by mail or electronically.

Nancy 16
Level 2

Your comment implies that I do not know IRS laws or procedures. I think that those of us who are familiar with being helpful and professional would call that being arrogant and not necessary. The question has still not been answered by anyone.  How many times can an amended return be electronically filed. Comments about processing times, doing returns correctly the first time, etc are not helping to answer my question. Here is a thought.... help or don't comment at all. Please and thank you!! 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Nancy 16 We're looking into this. There's been a report of a rejected amended return's Return Type being changed from amended to Federal return. What does your amended Return Type say? Do you have any more details of how you're unable to e-file the amended for the second time? 

Thanks for your help! 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Still waiting for you to post the IRS website that says it takes longer to process amended returns that are mailed, not e-filed, once they are received.  And then there is your non sequitur about how penalties and interest are based on processing time, not date of payment.  Please, tell us what you know.  

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Reporting back that we're continuing to look into this, thank you for your help. 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, thanks for your patience. We weren't able to replicate this, but I got some feedback. 

Check out this article under "How to amend a previously amended return": Amending an individual return (1040X) in ProSeries Review step 19, check the "check this box to file another federal amended return electronically" box. By doing so, it clears out the electronic filing status from completed to ready.  

If you're still having trouble, please contact us to sanitize a client file in ProSeries and we have a closer look: 800-434-6818. 

0 Cheers