Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing a blank

Opfor77
Level 4

If legally separated, would it be more beneficial to file married filing separate, or single, in terms of credits, etc?

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

if.... under a divorce or separate maintenance decree and you don't qualify for another status, your filing status is single.  they may qualify for a different filing status though. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Wouldn't legal separation make you Single for tax filing?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxes96786
Level 9

No, it makes you mfs

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
TurboTax disagrees

Legally separated filing options:
If tax law considers you "unmarried" because you got a decree of separation maintenance prior to December 31, you can file with "single" or "head of household" status.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You need to check if this is actually a "legal separation".  From what I understand, those are extremely rare.

From what I understand, those are basically a divorce, but for some reason the taxpayer's don't want to use the term "divorce" (perhaps religious reasons).

If it actually is a legal separation, then it is treated just like a divorce.  So the taxpayer's would be Single (or Head of Household, if they qualify).  But again, actual legal separation is quite rare.

rcooley25
Level 11

If they are not legally devorced  it would be more beneficial for them to smoke the peace pipe and file one last joint return.

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Note - check with your state.  For example in Maryland we don't have a "legal separation".  See from mdcourts.gov: "There is no such thing as a “legal separation.” In Maryland if you and your spouse live apart with the intention of ending your marriage, and if you do not have sexual intercourse during that time, that constitutes separation".

Remember, just like custody rules in divorce or orphan's court - the IRS has their own (and usually different) rules.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I see them when they want to be able to stay on the others health insurance through their employer.

0 Cheers