Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ACA subsidy consider income of live-in boyfriend?

Greta
Level 9

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

For purposes of the Premium Tax Credit, "Household Income" only refers to people on the tax return (including dependents whose income is high enough to file).

So if the boyfriend is not a dependent, no, his income does not affect the Premium Tax Credit.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is he a dependent of the taxpayer?  Dependent MAGI does come into play on the 8962.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

I thought it was "household income".

Bill will know. @TaxGuyBill 

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

For purposes of the Premium Tax Credit, "Household Income" only refers to people on the tax return (including dependents whose income is high enough to file).

So if the boyfriend is not a dependent, no, his income does not affect the Premium Tax Credit.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks. I knew you would know.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Greta  Listen to Bill and Lisa.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Bill, so if the boyfriend only had SS income and qualified as a dependent would his SS income have to be included (since gross SS is included in MAGI)? or only if he had a filing requirement?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It would only be included if the dependent had enough "taxable income" that would require him to file a tax return (so other things that require him to file, such as for SE tax, would not trigger it).

And in my opinion, even if his income was a bit over the filing requirement, a contribution to a Traditional IRA (to reduce his "taxable income" to $0) would eliminate the need for the income to be included (despite the way the Instructions phrase it - the Code reads differently than the Instructions).