Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

divorced parents alternating 'dependency' and the 2021 economic stimulus payment

Budmeister
Level 3

Confused on this issue- divorced parents alternating 'dependency' and the 2021 economic stimulus payment -- can parent taking child as a dependent on 2021 form 1040 receive the stimulus payment of $1400 , even though the other parent took him as a dependent on 2020 return and received the stimulus $1400 payment in March 2021 ??

Thank for un-confusing me !!

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
GodFather
Level 8

I have not run across this issue and I'm not 100% sure, but I think the IRS uses the 2020 return to determine which parent is eligible to receive the stimulus and future credits.  This is based on an article I found in Forbes but I would defer to someone else who knows for certain:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/heatherlocus/2021/03/31/how-divorced-families-can-maximize-their-relief...

0 Cheers
Budmeister
Level 3

Thank you-  but does anyone know of any IRS instructions or guidance on this issue.?

Appreciate all your thoughts

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Just put what your client received on the letter from IRS, or if no letter have client open account on IRS.GOV, and check what the irs sent him/her. Don't worry about about who claimed who or when.