Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation

monicac
Level 4

How long do I depreciate the items below for  rental property?

flooring & subflooring

kitchen countertops & cabinets

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

kitchen countertops and cabinets would be same as furnishings (5years)  flooring attached to structure such as hardwood floor would be same as building. (27 1/2)

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
monicac
Level 4

I did read 527 prior to my original post, I should have mentioned that. However those items are not shown. They list carpet but not flooring. They do mention anything not listed is 7 years. But I thought I had heard something different in regards to flooring in the past.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

kitchen countertops and cabinets would be same as furnishings (5years)  flooring attached to structure such as hardwood floor would be same as building. (27 1/2)

monicac
Level 4

Thank you so much for your help!!

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I am still convinced that kitchen countertops and cabinets are 27.5 years.

People may cite a ruling for an apartment building that was allowed to use 5 years (or 7?), but that circumstance was different than the traditional renting out a house.

monicac
Level 4

I wondered about  that but I didn’t find anything in my research.

You mentioned  the ruling, what would be the difference between an apartment and a duplex? My client has a duplex.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

There are differing opinions on cabinets when they are built-in, but if they serve customers and tenants you will be lucky if they last 5 years. Many years ago most accountants felt that wall to wall carpet was 27 1/2 class life (attached to structure), but now it is considered 5 year property if tacked down not glued, as you are lucky if it last that long.