Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependent filer questions 1 and 2 does not work for the flyer unless you put in a wrong answer

shirleym
Level 2

If I check box 1 Yes and Box 2 no then the filer only gets the deductions entered which is wrong. But if I check both boxes no then the filer gets the standard deduction they are entitled to. Please explain why that is happening. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"If I check box 1 Yes and Box 2 no then the filer only gets the deductions entered which is wrong."

What deductions? 

If they CAN be claimed as a dependent, they dont get the stand deduction, or RRC.

"But if I check both boxes no then the filer gets the standard deduction they are entitled to." 

You only need to check the first box NO.

If they CAN'T be claimed as a dependent they get the standard deduction and RRC.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the taxpayer is ELIGIBLE to be claimed as a dependent and has Unearned Income, the Standard Deduction may be much less.  So what you are saying about the Standard Deduction sounds correct.