Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dependent exemption and HOH

Christina W
Level 2

Adult child aged 31 has been receiving disability for years and does not file her own tax return. Where in ProSeries do I make the entries to allow taxpayer to claim her as a dependent exemption and head of household status? She does fall into the other qualifications. I'm researching IRS websites now to be sure taxpayer can claim both. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Level 13

In the Dependent area on the parents' return.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Christina W
Level 2

Thank you, but when I do that, this error message pops up - Dependent's SSN should not be the same as the SSN of the qualifying child f HOH.

Is there a place to click 'disabled'?

0 Cheers
Level 15

Do not enter the dependents information in the HOH section unless the child is NOT a dependent but only a qualifier for HOH.   Yes, under EIC dropdown menu you can select "D" for disabled child.