Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data loss

ESD
Level 2

Carbinite backup did not back up prowin/tyxx files. DELL had to be reset to factory settings. Dell back up prior to reset did not back up Prowin/tyxx files either. Where are these files? How can I locate to restore? Help!

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

Carbonite only backs up what you tell it to backup.  As far as the ProSeries file goes, just click on the file explorer on your computer, click on your hard drive, then click on ProSeries.  You will find your client files under the data folder.  

But with that said, if they weren't backed up in the first place, you have nothing to restore.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Here is a help topic that might be useful:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/back-data/copy-back-client-files-using-pros...

As they warn you, and in general when using any program that has its own built-in Backup function, it's best to set Carbonite, Mozy, Dropbox and similar tools and services not to backup your working files and folders (real-time sync), but point that service to the backup folder and let the program you are using control making the backups. That's because syncing in-use files isn't a backup process; it's a mirror process. These types of files that really are database-type structures don't do well when mirrored while in use.

I realize this is of no help if things are lost, but it also helps prevent the discovery that something is there, but corrupt and still not able to be used.

And you can use both functions, if it makes your other functions easier to manage. Have your routinely-updated mirror process, and also every evening make a true backup of newly updated files from the function internal to the program(s).

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dascpa
Level 11

I've learned that what I thought was backing up, wasn't.  So I moved to a system where within Documents I create a 2023 folder, 2022 folder, etc.  Then I create subfolders (ProSeries Data 2023, PDF 1040 Data 2023, Excel 2023,  etc.). So I override where programs backup and have Carbonite and Dropbox Professional backup only the Documents folder.  This system has worked well. It's also made it easier to delete an entire year at once (I keep data for 10 years) rather than go to this program and that program.

ESD
Level 2

Thank you

0 Cheers