Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Property - RDP vs MFS

parvitstax
Level 5

California couple

I am working on a RDP return. They will file jointly on their state return as allowed for an RDP. For the Federal return a RDP is not recognized so they will file single. My question is, IRS states that RDP's adhere to their states community property laws. Meaning both partners need to report one half of each other's incomes on each Federal return. 

I have had a few people file Married Filing Separately (California residents). I have never shared income on their federal returns. They have never been audited or faced any issues from IRS. Why does an RDP have to report shared community property (W2, 1099G, etc..) income but MFS do not? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Because it is the Law.

And BTW you have been preparing your MFS returns incorrectly, and as a tax practitioner, you are charged with preparing returns correctly even when inconvenient.

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Because it is the Law.

And BTW you have been preparing your MFS returns incorrectly, and as a tax practitioner, you are charged with preparing returns correctly even when inconvenient.

BobKamman
Level 15

The speed limit on my drive to work is 40mph but I go 50 and people pass me all the time.  Why are none of us pulled over?  

George4Tacks
Level 15
Because you don't live in California?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

@jeffmcpa2010 It had nothing to do with convenience. It was more lack of knowledge (blame the education requirements in place). Moving forward will have to report the PITA shared community property. I'm just confused why IRS has not once required an amendment or even FTB for that matter. 

So the only benefit of MFS is if you want to separate capital gains or other income from assets prior to marriage? Seems very complicated and should be one of the most expensive returns to file.

parvitstax
Level 5

@jeffmcpa2010 How do you prepare MFS if the spouses are not talking to each other? Impossible to get the other partner's reported/shared income. Is it even possible? What should we as preparers or the client do?

BobKamman
Level 15

@parvitstax 

How do you prepare MFJ if the spouses are not talking to each other?

The most recent example of a benefit of filing MFS returns is the $150K limit on AGI for exclusion of unemployment -- regardless of whether it's MFS or MFJ.  

parvitstax
Level 5

@BobKamman I don't understand how that answers the question 

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Under normal circumstances there is no tax benefit to married filing separate in community property states.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Do they live together? if not, the "community" may have been severed.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

Yes they live together. They file Jointly in CA as RDP

0 Cheers
David10
Level 3

0 Cheers