Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients they are not legally married but they filed as mfj.

vannun33
Level 2

I have clients they filed as mfj with their son but they are not legally married to this day. I just found out and I want to know what should I do this year, should I filed only HOH for working person or continue as mfj. I am confuse. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

There aren't too many states that still allow common law marriage, but it some states, the act of filing an MFJ return creates a common law marriage.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
rbynaker
Level 13

There aren't too many states that still allow common law marriage, but it some states, the act of filing an MFJ return creates a common law marriage.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Here's what a quick google turned up, which may help you in your research:

http://www.unmarried.org/common-law-marriage-fact-sheet/
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
But then they would be legally married.   :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Explain to them that the prior years are incorrect and offer to file amended returns for the open years. The decision is up to them.

For the current year, YOU must file a correct return. You say "working person" which hints that one of them does not work. Possibly you can file HOH with the child and the non working person.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers