Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client received a letter showing the owe taxes on State-Income Allocation Error on State Return

State of WI state return was filed electronically with federal, Dept. of Revenue for WI sent a letter to client  showing the owe taxes vs. getting a refund as stated in the software. They made changes to the amount of taxes (gross taxes), but in re-reviewing the return there was more income showing to be reported in WI then there actually should be. I am assuming there will need to be an amended done to correct this, just not sure how to get income allocation corrected, since I was having trouble in the beginning for some reason allocating. The issued seemed to be corrected on the federal side, but wonder why more income was reported on state of WI return for wages earned while a resident of that state. Any suggestions on help on how to amend and correct this issue would greatly be appreciated. Also since federal return is still be processed will I need to wait until it is fully approved before doing the amendment for this client?

Thanks in advance for any help~

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions

I was able to call Intuit customer support# and the issue has been resolved. Thanks~

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4

After further review of the return the data the federal return exported over to the State return for income received while a WI resident was inaccurate for some reason there were multiple income sections for the same amounts for the WI income which I was able to delete off, but for some reason the State tax amount is not being calculated into the state return it keeps coming in as "0", which is the reason the return for the client is coming out greater than it probably should have been. Has anyone had this issue with filing WI returns? I file returned in the beginning of March experiencing these issues.

Again thanks for any insight on this matter. WI state return issue.PNG

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youre saying allocate, so this is either a part year or nonresident return? 

Did you use the state part year or nonresident allocation worksheets at the bottom of the federal information worksheet to allocate all the income to the proper states?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Hello thanks for the reply. 

Yes this is a part year resident. I did use allocation worksheet as well. For some reason after going back in and trying to dissect what might have happened I see that the state return in not calculating any tax due for this client as shown on the screenshot of the part 2 of the message sent in relation to this. I am not sure why the software wouldn't have calculated the gross tax state return. The only different on this return the last year's state return is the sale of property for the home lived in while residing in WI. 

WI state return issue.PNG

WI state return issue-2.PNG

0 Cheers

I was able to call Intuit customer support# and the issue has been resolved. Thanks~

0 Cheers