Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client moves to KY from OH, establishes residency in KY

SherM
Level 2

My client moved from Ohio to KY on 6/01/22, which met KY residency requirements.  His W2 had KY and OH state taxes withheld.  If I prepare KY and OH non-resident returns his refund is greater than filing KY resident and OH non-resident.  Does it matter which way the returns are filed?

Additionally, client is moving back to OH later this year.  These GenZ's................  🙂

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Never prepared KY or OH returns but if you follow the workflow at bottom of information worksheet PS should get the residency dates set… file PY KY and Ohio returns. 
On W2 worksheet you enter a line for each state with the income and withholdings listed on the w2.

then go to each state return and select PY res. Follow the allocation edits to be sure the income is properly attributed….. sounds like you get to do it again next year 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Not familiar with those states but any others that I have seen you should be filing "Part Year Resident" not "Non Resident"

sjrcpa
Level 15

They should each be Part Year returns.

Ex-AllStar
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

beat you by 14 seconds....LOL

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Never prepared KY or OH returns but if you follow the workflow at bottom of information worksheet PS should get the residency dates set… file PY KY and Ohio returns. 
On W2 worksheet you enter a line for each state with the income and withholdings listed on the w2.

then go to each state return and select PY res. Follow the allocation edits to be sure the income is properly attributed….. sounds like you get to do it again next year 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround