Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client married a non US citizen

JSK
Level 3

I have a client who married a Canadian citizen in Canada, and had moved to Canada in October 2023.  How should I file his return - I don't want to do single, since he is married.  I don't think I should do married filing joint because the spouse never lived in the US, and none of her income was earned here.  Since she is not required to file a return here, I considered filing married filing separate.  However Canada uses an SIN which is similar to an SSN in the US.  Since MFJ or MFS will require me to identify the spouse, can I use her Canadian SIN on the 1040 instead of an SSN which she doesn't have?  I'm afraid it will bounce back because the number will not agree with SSA.

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has for me on how to handle this situation.

Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

On the MFS US return you can use NRA, for Nonresident Alien, for the NRA spouse SSN/ITIN field. Whether you'll be able to efile that return, I don't know.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

On the MFS US return you can use NRA, for Nonresident Alien, for the NRA spouse SSN/ITIN field. Whether you'll be able to efile that return, I don't know.

Ex-AllStar
JSK
Level 3

Thank you for your prompt response.  So I will enter her 9 digit Canadian SSI in the same field I would enter a US citizen's SSN?  Is there a separate form I have to fill out to explain where the spouse is from? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No to both questions.

I don't use ProSeries but somewhere there should be a place to indicate the spouse is a Nonresident Alien.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Cannot e-file.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.