Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the IRS split what is owed between two former spouses?

Hello Community, 

I have clients who divorced in June with a tax obligation of about 3k. One of the former spouses has reached out to me to inquire if she pays her half, and her ex doesn't, is she on the hook for his half too? I'm trying to remember but I think she is and can't remember if there is any sort of work-around for this? 

Thank you!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Assuming they are filing MFJ, then yes.  The other alternative, of course, is MFS.  Innocent spouse rule may apply but not likely depending on circumstances.  Other alternative (if she qualifies) is 'considered unmarried' 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Assuming they are filing MFJ, then yes.  The other alternative, of course, is MFS.  Innocent spouse rule may apply but not likely depending on circumstances.  Other alternative (if she qualifies) is 'considered unmarried' 

They have already filed as married filing jointly. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Joint return = joint and several liability.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Not surprising.  They got married without asking enough questions first, so they filed a joint return without asking enough questions first.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

To clarify, he maybe asked enough questions but it sounds like she should have asked at least one more before filing the return.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Meanwhile, I tell divorcing couples that I can't answer questions from either one of them because I now have a conflict of interest.  Fortunately, with my aging clientele, marriages end but not because of divorce. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Fortunately, with my aging clientele, marriages end but not because of divorce"

Yeah, by that age they have watched enough episodes of Dateline and 48 Hours to know how to knock the other one off without getting caught 😲

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I generally end up keeping both divorcees if they're being reasonable. I explain the options before and make sure they are in agreement about the payment or the distribution of the refund.   Always electronically. 

If one is not reasonable or in agreement, then it's MFS or go somewhere else