Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I write off a horse as an expense of my business

monicac
Level 4

I have a client that trains peoples horses and wrote a book on how to train horses and regularly post training videos. Can she write off the horses food and health insurance that she uses to demonstrate the training with?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

There is a line for insurance on the Schedule C - don't enter into the health insurance area, that's meant for taxpayer health insurance.  As for the food, you'll need to enter a description and $ in the Other Expenses.

View solution in original post

18 Comments 18
dkh
Level 15

Are you asking if the horse food for the client's horses can be written off?  Sure, why not if it is part of the business expense.   

Can you clarify what this means   health insurance that she uses to demonstrate the training with?      

monicac
Level 4

Health insurance for the horse.

What category should I list the expenses under?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

There is a line for insurance on the Schedule C - don't enter into the health insurance area, that's meant for taxpayer health insurance.  As for the food, you'll need to enter a description and $ in the Other Expenses.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Normally, people pay to have a horse boarded and trained, and that fee includes food. Then, the facility has animal feed expense. Vet bills and shoeing are passed along and often with markup. The insurance paid for would be general insurance; the owners would have horses insured.

Are you sure this person even understands their own business model?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
msmith7305
Level 7

I think the OP is referring to the horse that person uses to make her training videos. Not the horses she boards or trains. She owns that one horse.

monicac
Level 4

No their business is still in its infancy stage.

0 Cheers
monicac
Level 4

Yes I am referring to the horse she owns.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The horse is livestock as an Asset. It isn't an Expense.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
msmith7305
Level 7

And you can deduct insurance that covers your assets. She was asking about feed and insurance for the "asset"

BobKamman
Level 15

Does she keep a log of business furlongs vs. personal furlongs?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Or if it's a gaurd horse it might be hours on duty vs. hours off duty.

monicac
Level 4

I don’t understand your question. 

0 Cheers
monicac
Level 4

Are you asking if she keeps track of personal use versus business use?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I think Bob was trying to be funny asking if she's tracking mileage. 

BTW - I thought the horse expenses were for client's horses while there for training not a personal horse being used for business.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Yes.  And maybe for some history of this horse.  It's been in the family for a decade, she rides it every day and does videos every other Thursday?  When others see "horse," IRS sees "hobby." 

monicac
Level 4

The client started off with her horses as a hobby but as she furthered her knowledge in natural horsemanship she decided to start a business as a trainer and decided to write a book. She also does a little boarding. Last year was her first year in business and she grossed $14,000 this year $44,000. The business is growing. With that said the horse she is using for business started as a personal horse.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I am picturing her business name on a magnetic sign for the saddle, so that she can claim 100% business use like the people who put magnetic signs on their cars. Do they make saddles that attract magnets? At some point, it may be reasonable to argue that there is a business purpose for her to have her own horse. The facts and circumstances so far haven’t convinced me, but you’re the one signing the return.

dkh
Level 15

If I was preparing the return -  I'd allow feed and expenses for the horses she is training and boarding. 

For her own horse, I'd want to know how much time the horse is participating in business activities before I'd start deducting feed and expenses.  I would not treat the horse as a business asset for depreciation purposes.