Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I still e-file a 2020 Tax Return with the IRS shutdown?

Futch2010
Level 3

Just received a client's tax information and according to the community board, 2020 tax returns can be e-filed when the IRS re-opens for the tax year 2021 filing season.  Would the recommendation be to file a paper return or go ahead and e-file it and let the client know that it may be a while before they receive their refund?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I would recommend waiting until efile opens back up.  Paper filed returns are backed up and are taking longer than even normal time for paper filed returns. 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I would recommend waiting until efile opens back up.  Paper filed returns are backed up and are taking longer than even normal time for paper filed returns. 

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

If there is a refund, I would wait and e-file.

If they owe I would do paper to get it completely off my desk. - In that case who cares how long the IRS takes to process the return.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's going to be awhile either way, but a bigger awhile if you paper file.  A motion has been made and seconded to wait to e-file ----------- all in favor -------------aye -------- motion passed.  Hold on to it until e-filing opens back up.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Insufficient information so advice probably based on faulty assumptions -- sounds like the typical American election!  

Is there a balance due?  Did the client at least file an extension to October 15?  If you can get the return to IRS by tomorrow (hey, maybe you live in Ogden) it might make the difference between a 10% penalty and a 15% or 20% penalty, if you wait for e-filing.