Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Premium Assitance Subsidy (PAS) & elimination of the APTC

Mozko
Level 1

Good Evening I have been trying to find an answer to the following situation I have run into.. I have a client that made more money than expected and had to repay the excess APTC in the amount of $23,655.00 due to this the State of California was issuing him a PAS of $18,297.00 so at the end of the day he was going almost break even....

When the American Rescue Plan eliminated the repayment of APTC I thought the California PAS would be reduced but now ProSeries is calculating no APTC repayment but still the California is calculating a PAS of $18,297.00. It just doesn't seem coherent for him to get so much money back from the State if he no longer has to pay the Federal...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

They just updated the federal software.  States are always going to lag behind.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

This is such a mess.  It's not just you.  The Drake software programmers asked CA FTB about this and their response was:

"There is no change to the CA premium assistance subsidy calculation."

I'm not a CA preparer but it sure sounds like more free money for people who made more money in 2020 than they thought they were going to make.  Be sure to pick out a good wine to go with the free cheese.