Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CALIFORNIA HOUSING FINANCE ADU GRANT

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi to all.

Client received a $40000 taxable grant 1099-G from California Housing Finance Agency for ADU.

My question: Is it taxable for California? If not where a right place is on Other income Schedule CA' part to enter as subtraction.

Thank you for your assistance.

6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

You can google:

is california adu grant taxable income

There is a ton of results listed.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks and I already did it, sure before bring my question here I tried to find my answer not to face comment like you my folk. Hard to find they have been told in case of California's side. 

0 Cheers
lochness8
Level 1

Did you find out about this? It doesn't seem to make sense that the 40k is taxable in California state tax.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"It doesn't seem to make sense that the 40k is taxable in California state tax."

Unless you find where it is explicitly exempt, it is taxable.

I don't understand why that makes no sense and unless your congressman or senator or representative is here, no one here has any control over this, anyway, and this isn't the place to debate it. The grant is already for low- to moderate-income folks who don't have much of a tax bracket anyway.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks, but I did not find in case of California side. Do have you any link or article?

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks

0 Cheers