Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Form 3885A problem

LJHCPA
Level 4

I have a client with about 55 Schedules K-1. some of which have carryover of Sec 179 expense. ProSeries is giving me an error about allocating the 179 expense among the various K-1's reflecting it.

I cannot seem to clear this error no matter what I do to the entries on Lines 12a, 12b, or 12c of the respective California K-1's. The program doesn't tell me how much I'm "off" so I don't know if I've succeeded in getting the total allowed down to or up to $25,000.

Proseries is making at least one error in this area as I noted the total carryover reported by ProSeries is not including the total carryover amount from one specific K-1. If I manually add the carryover amounts from all K-1's my total is $8,493 higher than the ProSeries total--the exact amount from this specific K-1.

Additionally, six of the K-1's have current year Sec 179 expense. Do I use the current year amounts first, or use the carryover amounts first?

Any tips or trick you have to get this error cleared would be greatly appreciated.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
LJHCPA
Level 4

As sometimes is the case, just entering my question on this forum causes me to look at the problem again, and I've solved my own problem.

First, I found that the K-1 not included in the carryover 179 totals WAS actually included. I had entered it my manual list twice. The error was mine--not ProSeries.

I was finally able to go the the CA Schedule K-1's and determine the necessary amounts for line 12c and entered zeroes in anything over the $25,000 limit. Finally, the error went away.

To quote the famous Emily Latella:  "Never mind."

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
LJHCPA
Level 4

As sometimes is the case, just entering my question on this forum causes me to look at the problem again, and I've solved my own problem.

First, I found that the K-1 not included in the carryover 179 totals WAS actually included. I had entered it my manual list twice. The error was mine--not ProSeries.

I was finally able to go the the CA Schedule K-1's and determine the necessary amounts for line 12c and entered zeroes in anything over the $25,000 limit. Finally, the error went away.

To quote the famous Emily Latella:  "Never mind."