Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating 2021 EIC using 2019 Income

Mike Polacek
Level 3

I apologize if this has been addressed but I couldn't find the specific issue.....

The EIC Worksheet allows you to check the box to recalculate the EIC using the 2019 income.  The problem is the earned income carried forward and showing in that line for returning clients is actually from 2020 and NOT 2019.  Why not leave the line blank and force the entry of data as opposed to bringing in data from the incorrect year?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Camp1040
Level 10

I use PS basic and it carries the 2019 earned income to the 2021 EIC worksheet.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I have only done one of those this year, and I could have sworn it flowed through correctly.

@Camp1040  - how was the Reuben?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Mike Polacek
Level 3

Go back and look.  There is definitely data pre-entered in that line.  When it was brought to my attention I began looking through others that have EIC in 2021 and went to the worksheet.  Every one of them that I reviewed had the 2020 earned income, not 2019.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

👍👍💚

IRonMaN
Level 15

Just because you asked so nicely, I went back and looked.  I'm showing 2019.

Slava Ukraini!
Mike Polacek
Level 3

When I pull the 2019 return and look at the earned income and then look at the line on the 2021 worksheet, it's not the 2019 income.  It's the 2020.  Going back to reexamine.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive noticed this in some returns as well, I dont know why its pulling 2020 for some people, so its something we DO have to watch for,

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪