Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA Form 3840 Error on 2022 Individual Form

aguffre
Level 3

Having problems on the California Form 3840 Schedule A on an Individual Tax Return for 2022.  When entering the property description, ProSeries is indicating there is an Error when the "Personal property description (leave blank for real property: this is an e-file requirement)" is blank.  The property is real property (real property is checked on Line C at the top of Form 3840) and so this line should be blank.

This is happening in Part I (Properties Given Up) AND Part II (Properties Received)

I have not gotten an error when leaving this line appropriately blank in previous years.  It still gives me the error if I unselect the e-file option.

ProSeries needs to fix this please!

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had this same issue, it says leave it blank, then gives an error, so I just filled in the description...hasn't been an issue.  But I feel like it happened in another year as well, this wasnt the first time I had that same thing happen, so I dunno whats happening in their programming department.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
aguffre
Level 3

Lisa,

Were you able to e-file with a description entered? I obviously can't if it is left blank because of the error.

I saw on another Intuit product forum (not ProSeries) that they had the same problem, but were also unable to e-file if a description was entered. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, the return was Efiled. 

You "may" be able to EF without the description and leave the error, just uncheck the Error Checking box at Conversion, but I EFiled with the description entered, no problem (I just went and double checked the client file to be sure!)

errorchecking.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
aguffre
Level 3

Glad that it was able to e-file.  I don't like to mark & have the client sign for e-file unless I am CERTAIN that it will not get rejected because of ProSeries problems.  It's unprofessional to have to call the client back to tell them I was wrong and we have to mail it in now.

Will probably print & mail in unless ProSeries fixes the problem.  Unsure where to report a problem to them other than in this forum.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, I've passed this information along & will update this thread if I get any updates. 

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're working on a fix for this. In the meantime, I was informed that it is safe to make an entry in that field. Thanks! 

0 Cheers