Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA 540 E-file only, is anyone able to print form 540 to give to clients?

bb13
Level 2

hello

I'm wondering if anyone is having a similar issue with California form 540 and not being able to print out form 540.  on our software they are watermarked E-file only, and cannot be printed out.  We can e-file the state return, but anytime we try to print our return, we just get a page that says the form is unavailable, is anyone else having this issue?

12 Comments 12
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its a hassle every year waiting for state forms to be final and able to be printed....not sure how many bozos it took mailing in non-final forms for this to be an issue, but it sure is a PITA!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Actually, I just checked a print out from this morning and it DOES include the 540, so you may want to run an update of the program see if you get better results.

bb13
Level 2

hey thanks for the response, what version are you on for 2022?

we are on 43.0119 and anytime we try to print the entire 2022 tax return, instead of the form 540 we get a page that says "this form is not available for this release" on all pages that are watermarked.  getting frustrating that lacerte doesn't offer any sort of estimated date of when it will be printable, and when we contact the Francise tax board, we are told that are final forms have been released, and that this is something with lacerte software.  their customer support is extremely unhelpful with this situation. 

0 Cheers
ekovesdy
Level 1

We're in the same boat.  We updated the software this morning (1/30/23), and the 540 is still unavailable.  Any luck on your end?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive filed several 540s already and had them accepted, make sure youve got California chosen in

Update > Select and Download New Products.

Oh wait, there might be 2 issues here....is 540 not installed or is it just showing that its not final?

If its showing as not final, Id close ProSeries and run REPAIR UPDATES from the Windows Programs menu.

bb13
Level 2

We've sent and had CA taxes accepted, which is not the issue, the issue is when we print out a tax return, the forms say e-file only and its a blank page.  we've been in contact with lacerte every single day and they have confirmed that the forms are not final for printing, which is odd since we know other preprarers who use drake software and they do not have this issue, lacerte just tells us to be patient but will not give us an estimated date as to when we'll be able to print them out.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youre posting in the ProSeries group, not Lacerte. You may want to post over there, the 2 programs, while both made by Intuit, are completely different.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax/discussion/03/302

bb13
Level 2

thank you so much for alerting me to that, I had no idea i was in the wrong area, appreciate you

bobthejockey
Level 2

I think I might not include the California tax return on the hard copy on the ones I just filed.  I don't think the clients will even look at it.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Clients are supposed to look at the return before it is efiled.

Nite the language on the efile authorization forms.

Ex-AllStar
Davelias
Level 3

Having this issue with 2023 CA forms after updating & refreshing updates too.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@Davelias 

https://accountants.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/ca-return-not-printing...

A known issue for TODAY (1.29.24), if you look at more current posts ...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers