Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Busiest day of tax season?

PATAX
Level 15

The first Monday of February is usually the busiest day of tax season, i.e. many clients will drop off their data today. An old-timer told me that years ago. Will it repeat today?

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
ljr
Level 8

In the past I would agree with you but now too many of my clients have some kind of broker statement and they all know by now they won't get it until mid to late February - so now it's quiet the first week then it goes to . . . . . . . Happy tax season all.

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
ljr
Level 8

In the past I would agree with you but now too many of my clients have some kind of broker statement and they all know by now they won't get it until mid to late February - so now it's quiet the first week then it goes to . . . . . . . Happy tax season all.

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

General Rule: ALL MONDAYS are the busiest day of the week. Fridays are relatively quiet but still busy.

Starting late this week, volume will pick up. 

Starting Feb 14, there will be a strong burst of client returns to prepare. Lasts about 2 weeks solid.

First week of March is a relative lull.

Then starting March 5 it will be day to day because it is so busy.

Around March 25, I begin to "stop" the procrastinators from waiting until the last minute - any remaining clients receive an email from me on March telling them that I need their info by April 1 or we are extending. That causes 50% of the remaining clients to respond. The remaining 50% get a high tax prep bill so it works for me!

fredr
Level 4

First two weeks of Feb always the busiest here.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I keep a log of when tax returns come in.  For the last 15 years I have found that February 30th is always the busiest day of the year for me. 😶

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Yesterday and today definitely the busiest days so far. Weather warmed up a little bit and roads are clear now from snow and ice.

dkh
Level 15

Mondays and Fridays for the past two weeks tie for busiest days

ljr
Level 8

Saturday is the worst - then monday and friday 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Saturday is the best day.  The office building is locked so nobody gets in and the phone goes to voicemail.  The weekends are meant to get work done------------------without all sorts of interruptions.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

You are exactly right Iron Man. Weekends are the best days, nice and quiet and we can get work done.

ljr
Level 8

I'm doing something wrong - I have client "appts" all day on Saturdays and most of Sundays. My quiet time to catch up and knock stuff out is around 7am. 🤔 

dkh
Level 15

I used to do the Saturday appts for clients, Sunday family & friends.  Felt I needed to, to make them all happy. Then one day I decided I was going to go down in flames if I didn't give myself some downtime over the weekend.    7am is hot green tea and a walk with the dogs time. 

Taxprohere
Level 7

Middle March, particularly March 15, the "oh, #!@$% I only have a month left to file to meet the deadline" wakeup thought.

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh @I love my green tea and walking my German Shepherd too.. . Now with decaf,  since I have this acid reflux nonsense. Hopefully it goes away pretty soon

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

For me, in the past, the first Monday after Super Bowl was to me the beginning of the tax season. I would typically start that first monday with 15-20 calls for appointments and I would start going back to back with clients. 

This year has been a little weird and feels slower to us here because Super Bowl was extended by a week. At least thats whats in my head. 

PATAX
Level 15

It looks like the first Monday in February got pushed forward two weeks because today was definitely the busiest day so far.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm still not looking forward to February 30th.

Slava Ukraini!