Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Collapse

dascpa
Level 11

I appreciate those of you who have questioned how close I am to the Key Bridge collapse during the night in Baltimore after the cargo ship ran into it. I'm about 25 minutes away so other than sadness of the situation and the loss of life (look at the amazing video) it does not affect me. Concerned if anyone else in this forum was affected.

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

Good to hear that you weren't affected.  But sometimes we just have to not take things for granted.  One minute we are complaining about stupid clients and a few minutes later the bridge you are driving over collapses.  Nothing in life is guaranteed, so enjoy it while you can.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

Agreed and it puts things into perspective. Still doesn't change the stupid client though.......

Dusty2
Level 7

@dascpaglad you are ok, sorry for the loss.

Dusty

Accountant-Man
Level 13

There were workers on that bridge.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Wow, I hadn't heard of that until now.  That is crazy.

Unfortunately, there is often indirect injuries and loss of life too.  That is going to really mess up traffic on other highways for a really long time, which tends to cause more car accidents.

abctax55
Level 15

As I'm geographically challenged (and I live on the Left Coast...)   

@sjrcpa   -  Are you/yours OK?

@dascpa  - Glad you are OK.   

I can't imagine 'how' this could happen?  Equip failure; asleep at the wheel, or ?

As Jeff says, life can be unexpected so enjoy the journey.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

@dascpa Glad to know you are OK.

I'm fine.

Witnesses and video (the harbor has cameras) say the cargo ship seemed to lose power. All its lights went out a few minutes before the crash.

Sadly, there is a search and rescue operation for about 7 people.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

And it was reported the ship threw out an anchor at the last minute, so loss of power.  And those ships don't exactly stop on a dime.

As Susan said, horrific for the workers and anyone driving on the bridge at the time.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"