Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you kidding me, Intuit - qualified covid distribution amounts ARE NOT CARRIED OVER?

FTAX
Level 5

It didn't even occur to me to check for this!  How is such incompetence even possible? 

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

There was no place to carry it over to since the 8915F doesn't exist yet in the software.

Slava Ukraini!
FTAX
Level 5

So ... the carryover information is going to show up when the form is available?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The IRS did not even create the schema for Form 8915-F for 2021 reporting. There will be a sort of attachment process for including the info, but no automatic fill in/carry over from 2020. The scheduled release date is now showing as March 24.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Nope.  It would have had to had someplace to go to when you transferred your clients over from last year.  Since there was no place to park it, the bus left it behind in 2020.  The system isn't smart enough to know something like that was lingering so it can't pull it over without using the transfer process.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

How is such incompetence even possible? 

Not trying to be mean or sarcastic - whose incompetence?  I always have last year's tax return open at the same time this year's is.  Allows me to check for notes, issues and other items like the 8915F.

abctax55
Level 15

How is such incompetence even possible?

Yep, amazing....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
JRC
Level 8

They could have added it to the "Carryover Worksheet" but that would have been to simple of a task.

Perhaps the IRS didn't carry it over being that a form didn't exist to carry it over to...

FTAX
Level 5

They simply could have put in on a worksheet and then transferred it when the form is ready.  In fact, it is outrageous that they did not.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It really isn't all that outrageous.  There isn't much you are going to need to plug in to the form once it is ready to roll.  

Slava Ukraini!
FTAX
Level 5

I guess we should just be grateful Intuit is letting us print federal returns prior to 8915-F being release.  

A curse on Intuit and the three generations that follow!

0 Cheers