Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis of Net Income - Managing Members of LLCs - A bug or?

TexCPA
Level 3

I noticed that ProSeries puts LLC members marked as General Partners (because they are "Managing Members" of an LLC) on Line 2b of the Analysis of Net Income section as "Limited Partners". Their K-1s are correctly marked "General Partner". Form 1065 Instructions say that "members" should go on Line 2b, and yes, I agree completely with that, "members" of an LLC are treated as limited - however, "Managing Members" are not "Limited". The Instructions are silent on the specific treatment of Managing Members. It is my understanding that Managing Members are treated like General Partners, subject to Self-Employment Tax and the ability to deduct losses against ordinary income. 

Anyone have a take on this? Is this an unfixed bug? Or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Are these members individuals or entities?

Does the LLC have business income or rental income or something else?

Ex-AllStar
TexCPA
Level 3

Individuals, ordinary income/loss from page 1. If you have an entity other than Individual, and the General box is checked, it puts in on the General Partner line. 

0 Cheers