Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amended Return for Lower Estimated Tax Paid than Reported

Firehead
Level 3

An individual client gave me incorrect payment amount for 1Q 2023 resulting in a $3,624 carryforward to 2024. The correct amount of estimates paid results in a $637 carryforward to 2024. The ProSeries software is saying the client owes $2,987; which is not true. Estimates for 1Q, 2Q, and 3Q 2024 were made so that the carryforward from 2023 will be applied to the 4Q. This isn't a repayment of a refund, which is what is implied with the calculations of the amended return.

I can't figure out how to nullify the amount due for the amended return. Would I be better off letting the IRS send us a corrected estimated tax carryforward amount from 2023?

Firehead

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Would I be better off letting the IRS send us a corrected estimated tax carryforward amount from 2023?"

Yes.

Ex-AllStar
ljr
Level 8

would not amend as the irs caught it as soon as they processed it - I would just make a note in the file and correct the amount applied when next years program is available 

Firehead
Level 3

Thank you!!

Firehead
Level 3

Thank you!

Accountant-Man
Level 13

You don't need to amend, but you should correct it on your system so that next year 2024 you don't should a credit that's too high.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers