Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allocation on 1095A

athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi Online community, 

I need clarification for this case. Couple MFJ. No dependents. Husband has a 1095A only for himself. Wife is covered at work by his employer. He filled his 1095A based on his income because his wife was covered at work. Can I allocate 100 % of the policy to him and 0% to his wife and seemed to be right. But if I do not allocate it that way they will be paying a lot of money back because between the two it seems too much money for the amount he paid for his insurance based on his salary. My question is if this is right to do, I think yes, it is right but I would like to confirm it with your opinions. Again, I allocated 100 % to his social security and they do not have to pay back any extra, If I do not do any allocation, they are paying back a lot of money. 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Unless they're planning on filed MFS, he should have given the marketplace the total income on the MFJ return, not just his own.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Allocation only applies if the 1095-A covers more than one person, and at least one of those covered people are not part of the tax return (they file their own return, as a non-dependent).

As Lisa said, the credit is based on the income on the entire tax return, not just his income.

If they file as MFS, it needs to be allocated 50/50.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Again, I allocated 100 % to his social security"

It's his policy, covering only him. He is getting Social Security, he is not covered by Medicare. The MFJ filing is Joint Income (not just SS). He would not be covered on the spouse's plan optionally.

Just input the facts.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers