Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address listed for preparer

Juules
Level 1

I have been a Lacerte customer from 1999 through 2017 and again in 2019 tax year.  I work from home and am a single woman.  My po box was listed as my firm address from 1999 through 2017 and I began efiling in 2004 when it began.  Now Lacerte forces my personal home address to be listed on the forms I give my clients even though the IRS EFIN department stated that my PO BOX is acceptable to them because both my physical address and POBOX are listed under my current EFIN application on file with the IRS so it doesn't create an issue with efiling to have my PO box on the forms.

I had a creepy client try to find me once for non business related perverted issues and I am not comfortable with this.  Please match your policy with IRS EFIN protocol and correct this. I am headed to buy Sharpies and just ordered filing labels to cover my physical address on each return I generate from your software program.   This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Intuit uses what is shown on your EFIN application summary....what does the EFIN application summary show as the firms address?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Juules
Level 1

Both my physical address and po box are listed on the EFIN.  My mailing address on EFIN is my po box because I live in a wooded, rural area. My physical address is also on the EFIN ap as that is required and I have no problem with the IRS or CPA board knowing my physical address.  Even the EFIN IRS rep I spoke to today said the IRS is fine with my mailing address being the address on the tax forms.  Lacerte says that's not their policy anymore and they can't put my PO box.

jsmith2
Level 1

I have this same exact problem. Did you ever get it resolved?

Jehnifer
Level 1

Is there a workaround? The IRS 100% allows P.O. box to be used for mailing addresses. I will not have my personal home address going out my clients.

Only thing I can think of so far is manually editing all PDF files, but this is enough I will change providers. Honestly, the price has gone up enough, with no actual service improvements, I had already started looking, but to have this change *Intuit side only* after a decade of using a P.O. box... preposterous.

PATAX
Level 15

Wow ....I sympathize with all of you who are having issues with this and I understand your predicament. But as for myself, I try not to prepare returns for anyone who may be of questionable character. It is a good idea to screen potential clients before accepting them. Please do not take this the wrong way.

Jehnifer
Level 1

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of having trust-worthy clients, at least not for me. It's the fact that Intuit is arbitrarily enforcing their interpretation of the EFIN requirements and not the factual meaning, which has been restated by the IRS numerous times.

I have a mailing address for a reason. I keep work separate from personal. I'd prefer to keep it that way. I've contacted 3 other software providers since posting this and they all agree and allow P.O. boxes. This seems completely arbitrary for Intuit to change at this time when no additional information has been released by the IRS to state it as a requirement.

Hodgescpa
Level 1

Yep this is a deal breaker for sure. We will be migrating out of this mess!

0 Cheers
Hodgescpa
Level 1

And by the way, we are not a new member. Been using lacerte since 2003

0 Cheers