Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A no show

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Ever get a no show?  I have had a few this year.. latest one today.. no phone call or anything. I would never do that unless it was an emergency and I would call them.  I don't even like when clients are a few minutes late as I schedule back to back all day and that can cause a backup. 

16 Comments 16
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I still do the majority of my appts in person and when a client is more than 10 mins late, it puts pressure on me as I also go back-to-back. 

I cant stand when a client is a no show.......you know what??? Call me and tell me youre too hungover (ill respect that) or tell me your were abducted by aliens. Just dont leave me hanging.

My 11am was a no show. Grrrrrr

dkh
Level 15

A no show would be on more than just my s**t list -  I'd refuse to ever set up another appt - don't care if they are a long time client.  They need to show more respect to you.  Do you have a fee you charge for missing the appt?  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Late?  My biggest problem is early.  I do a lot of retirees and old folks don't like being late so they like to arrive a half hour early.  I schedule appointments a half hour apart and I can guarantee that my next appointment is waiting when I am done even if the current appointment is only ten minutes.  But with COVID, most of our clients are happy with just dropping off their stuff and I only scheduled a small number of appointments this year.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I started a little 1st QTR payroll taxes during this time and took a walk outside.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@garman22 wrote:

or tell me your were abducted by aliens.

What if the aliens wouldn't let him use the phone?  🤣

rbynaker
Level 13

I had a no-show yesterday . . . right up until I went back to her Tuesday email and read the WHOLE sentence instead of just stopping at the word Wednesday!

"I was wondering if I could drop off our forms on Wednesday, March 23."

Today my 5:30 didn't actually show up until 5:55.  But at least she called me at 5:26 and said she "lost track of time".

BobKamman
Level 15

Those seniors are used to going to appointments with doctors who schedule three patients for the same time, figuring that one or two might not show up (can you call in sick to a doctor appointment?) and they'll be running late anyway.  The first one to sign in is the first one served.  You have to tell your clients that there is a $50 hourly fee for use of lobby chairs.  The ones who don't show up, tell them the first available is May 15.  

BobKamman
Level 15

I always liked Leap Year because we could count on no one showing up Thursday, March 17, when their appointment was Thursday, February 17.  Or vice versa.  

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I had to do the samething just yesterday regarding a long standing client.  He was originaly scheduled for Fwb 5th and did not show. He calls e yesterday wondering why I did not call him back. Needless to say I told him to go someplace else.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Haven't we all been stood up at one time or another?

I give one pass, if they later fess up with a good excuse. If not, I am unavailable to see them in the future.

@IRonMaN  Jeff, these days pretty much the only in person appts I have are the nice old ladies , and a few men, who need my hand holding or maybe just some human contact. Yes they are always early.

Ex-AllStar
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

When they eventually contacted me after the no show/no call, I'd say it was fine, I had plenty to keep me busy anyway (not a lie), and that I filed an extension for them so I'd let them know after tax season when we could get together. Lots of silence on the other end of the phone followed by a feeble OK, thank you.

I'd see where I could fit them in and call them a few days later, tell them I had a surprise cancellation, and ask if they were available. They were always available, and there was never a problem with no show again. We have to find our entertainment where we can during tax season. 🙂

BobKamman
Level 15

To err is human; to forgive, divine.  (Or is it devine?  That guy Andy always confused me with spelling.  Guess that shows my age.)

So it shouldn't be considered changing the subject here  if I give a shout-out to a California CPA, who for all I know is an Intuit subscriber also.  He filed an estate 1041 for the executor and sent the K-1 to my client, a beneficiary -- but it was watermarked "Client Copy" and had only the last four digits of the EIN.  I found his website and sent him an email asking for the rest of the number.  Within half an hour, on one of the busiest days of the season, he sent it.  He might even have had to keep a client waiting while he answered.  So chalk one up for professional courtesy.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

He probably had a no show so he got it to you. 😉

Slava Ukraini!
Steve Stohr
Level 2

3 out of my 6 appointments tonight...   I'm used to here and there, but 50% no shows...   crazy

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think Meatloaf said 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but I think even he would have thought 3 out of 6 was bad.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Blame it on the green beer flowing freely today.