Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

990 extension and 990-t extension heads up

PATAX
Level 15

Error message popped up on both extensions saying that the total number of W-2s must be entered on the 990 return before e-filing is accepted. Don't know why this would reject an extension since it has no bearing on the 990t tax,  but it is what it is

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Every year it is something new.  First it was "no can file without Social Security number".  Looks like we have a new game to play every year.

We dealt with a fun one this week.  New nonprofit client changed from a Sept fiscal year to a calendar year in 2020.  We filed the 990 for the short period and life was good.  Then found out the other day that they received a notice for the 990 for the prior year.  They paper filed the return and got a friendly letter saying, "thanks, but you really need to e-file the return".  Ok, we took what they had for the 2019 return for the year ended Sept 30, 2020, got the data entered and hit the send button.  Got a rejection - "nice try, but the return you filed has the wrong year end on it".  So they couldn't paper file and we can't e-file.  I scratched my head for about thirty seconds and said screw it.  Changed the year end on the face of the return to a calendar year and attached a pdf to the return, saying "sorry, but we tried, but it can't be done - the date on the face of the return says December but it is really a September year end - thanks and have a nice day"  The return was accepted.  We'll wait and see if they get any other notices down the road.  There really has to be an easier way to make a buck these days.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
IRonMaN
Level 15

Every year it is something new.  First it was "no can file without Social Security number".  Looks like we have a new game to play every year.

We dealt with a fun one this week.  New nonprofit client changed from a Sept fiscal year to a calendar year in 2020.  We filed the 990 for the short period and life was good.  Then found out the other day that they received a notice for the 990 for the prior year.  They paper filed the return and got a friendly letter saying, "thanks, but you really need to e-file the return".  Ok, we took what they had for the 2019 return for the year ended Sept 30, 2020, got the data entered and hit the send button.  Got a rejection - "nice try, but the return you filed has the wrong year end on it".  So they couldn't paper file and we can't e-file.  I scratched my head for about thirty seconds and said screw it.  Changed the year end on the face of the return to a calendar year and attached a pdf to the return, saying "sorry, but we tried, but it can't be done - the date on the face of the return says December but it is really a September year end - thanks and have a nice day"  The return was accepted.  We'll wait and see if they get any other notices down the road.  There really has to be an easier way to make a buck these days.

Slava Ukraini!