Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

401-K contribution

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi all-I really need a help. Client has $10500 D in W-2 box 12. Based on Max contribution for 2021 for 401-K, $19500, or $20500 for 2022, when I enter the rest of max to 401K worksheet with checked box to create max; nothing happens at the end of worksheet.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

They can't make any more 401(k) contributions unless they are self-employed and their Schedule C business has a 401(k) Plan.

Ex-AllStar
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks, but in ProSries Personalized$ Tax Advice page says: you can contribute up to $20500. I am really confused it means if in W-2 already  has been contributed $10300 client can make a contribution $9987.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

His contribution is limited to his workplace because he is an  employee (not self-employed).  He could contribute up to 20,500. but it has to be as a part of payroll deductions IF HE IS NOT SELF_EMPLOYED.  It's his fault that he did not contribute the max thru his workplace, not yours, and certainly not changeable at this time.  If you don't understand this basic fact, then you probably, and I'm serious, should not be preparing tax returns for others.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.