Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 amended 1040

jadler1020
Level 1

I have read a lot of prior posts with no help.  I am trying to efile 2021 amended return.  I efiled original return.  I have followed instructions and have saved original return under new name.  Am working with original return, not the one I just renamed.  Have checked the boxes to efile amended federal and nys.  Both 1040x and ny it-201x are good.  When I go to efile from efile center, the amended returns are listed but are greyed out so can’t select for efiling.  Any suggestions?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
ljsmith2
Level 4

In order to e-file the amended tax return, the system needs to see the acknowledgement of the original return. It can only do that with the original tax return.

You have to stay in the original return to complete the amendment. If you choose 'save as' and give it a new name, when you open the new file, it does not recognize that it was originally filed.

To keep a copy of the original before amending, go to where you save your copies of the tax return and rename it there. Something such as adding "Original" to the name.

That way when you save the amendment it will not override it.

0 Cheers
jadler1020
Level 1

Hmmmm,  what I did and that may have been what messed me up is I used save as “same name but added original”.  Then I went back to the one that was originally efiled and set up amended return but with all my playing around I have lost the original accepted acknowledgments on the originally efiled return 😩. Have tried to get them back and have gone to various efile logs and return doesn’t show.  As a last resort because I was so frustrated, I tried efiling again and of course it won’t efile because it says it was already done!   Thinking of sending in paper amended but I am stubborn and would like to figure this out and efile.

0 Cheers