Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R Code 8J showing up as taxable income

lapsonluu
Level 2

I have a Roth IRA scenario.

A 64 age client accidentally withdrew from her Roth IRA but immediately re-contributed the money to the same account on same day. She received 2 1099Rs. One with code T and one with code 8J. Box 1 has $7512 and box 2a has $12.
The Roth IRA account was opened less than 5 years ago. 

The issue is, box 1 amount with code 8J is showing up as taxable income on 1040 line 4b, not the $12.

I reviewed the 1099 input form on Proseries and verified none of box 7 distribution codes were applied. A statement of explanation is needed, which I filled out explaining the taxpayer's situation. 
Other than that, I can't find any field that might suggest taxing the correct amount. 
0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

You need to enter the basis of the ROTH IRA.

Ex-AllStar
lapsonluu
Level 2

That worked!

Thank you very much!!

qbteachmt
Level 15

Let's keep in mind that the 1099-R issuer often doesn't know what happened after funds were disbursed.

"A statement of explanation is needed, which I filled out explaining the taxpayer's situation."

You typically fill in the worksheet and put the proper codes, not just what you see on the 1099-R. You seem to be describing a rollover, which means a distribution (1099-R) and then a "reinvestment" (Form 5498 for the money in). But you mention two 1099-R? Is there no 5498? That helps confirm what happened.

I noticed the amount of $7500, which is the contribution limit for your taxpayer, which might be coincidental, but you told us code J:

"If a rollover contribution is made to a traditional or Roth IRA that is later revoked or closed, and distribution is made to the taxpayer, enter in boxes 1 and 2a of Form 1099-R the gross distribution and the appropriate code in box 7 (Code J for a Roth IRA)."

And code 8:

"Code 8: Corrective refunds taxable in current year. Use for corrective distributions of excess deferrals, excess contributions, and excess aggregate contributions, unless Code P applies (taxable in prior year)."

I would ask for account statement(s). Something here doesn't match the scenario you gave. And this assumes there is not yet another action she took? You want to confirm where the money is, now. If that was a full distribution, and the first error resulted in closing the Roth, then there might be a new Roth account with the return of the funds, but that should not result in two 1099-R. And with a new account will be another new 5-year clock.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers