Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R box 7 code 1 - medical hardship exemption

parvitstax
Level 5

Client took the withdrawal for a medical emergency. Wouldn't they qualify for an exemption from the 10% penalty? 

Their employer is saying the Tax Pro needs to apply for the exemption but I thought the employer is supposed to select the correct code to reflect it was a hardship withdrawal. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

Tax Pro  indicates exemption on F5329 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
dkh
Level 15

Tax Pro  indicates exemption on F5329 

parvitstax
Level 5

I see. I expected the exemption option to be listed on the 1099R entry page. If there is a link on the 1099R page, do you know where it is located so I don't miss that in the future?

0 Cheers
Norman2001
Level 7

I don't see a link on the IRA worksheet. but you can chase it down if you recognize the 10% is an additional tax shown on Sch 2. There it shows Form 5329 as required to be attached. 

Also, you can exclude the amount over 7.5% of your client's AGI that is an unreimbursed medical expense. 

From Pub 590-B

"Exceptions
There are several exceptions to the age 591/2 rule. Even if
you receive a distribution before you are age 591/2, you
may not have to pay the 10% additional tax if you are in
one of the following situations.
• You have unreimbursed medical expenses that are
more than 7.5% of your AGI."

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Their employer is saying the Tax Pro needs to apply for the exemption but I thought the employer is supposed to select the correct code to reflect it was a hardship withdrawal."

Hardship withdrawal has nothing to do with the tax rules. It has to do with the Employer plan provision. It might allow hardship withdrawal, or not. They don't control if it is taxable and/or subject to penalty. This simply is a permitted or not, consideration.

The issuer of the 1099-R usually has no idea what happened to the funds, or if they were even used as intended. The 1099-R is for money Out.

The Tax Pro does due diligence to fill in the tax form filings that reflect what happened.

You didn't mention the specific plan or account type. The IRS has a useful table, here:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-exceptions-to-tax-o...

That is specific to the penalty.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.