Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-R BOX 7 SHOWS 1B DESIGNATED ROTH CONT

Level 4

Hi, 1099R shows box 1 4,995..and nothing in box 2...box 5 shows 4,995 designated roth contributions...and in Box 7 it shows 1B early withdrawal from roth. so in the tax summary of income should it be included in his gross income.. or should it not show up in gross income? I was afraid of not typing anything on box 2a of the 1099r..  i know sometimes that's a tricky box. If an amount is not in there i believe we have to manually put in the taxable amount right? 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@10409000 wrote:

box 5 shows 4,995 designated roth contributions..

That means there is AT LEAST $4995 in Basis.  That means the $4995 is not taxable.

I don't remember if Box 5 automatically triggers the program to make it non-taxable, or if you need to scroll down on the 1099-R worksheet and enter the Basis on by hitting the "Quickzoom" for the Basis.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@10409000 wrote:

box 5 shows 4,995 designated roth contributions..

That means there is AT LEAST $4995 in Basis.  That means the $4995 is not taxable.

I don't remember if Box 5 automatically triggers the program to make it non-taxable, or if you need to scroll down on the 1099-R worksheet and enter the Basis on by hitting the "Quickzoom" for the Basis.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Box 5 is designated roth contributions OR insurance premiums   Im not sure you can automatically assume its the basis in the account

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The OP said it is a Roth account.  Insurance means if it is an annuity or something.

And even if it was insurance, it is 'taxable' premiums paid, which would be Basis, right?

0 Cheers