Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040X when Refund has not been received

Bert0611
Level 3

Returned was filed and acknowledged on 2/8/2024. The taxpayer has not yet received the refund as shown on the return.  On 3/18/2024 the taxpayer received Notice 5071C requesting ID verification.  That was taken care of immediately.  The taxpayer still has not received the refund.

I have now found what might be the cause of the holdup.  Taxpayer took the energy credit for windows and doors.  I have now found that the door was not purchased and installed until 2024.

The amended return shows the taxpayer owes $250.  Since the taxpayer has not received the refund how do I indicate that he does not "owe" but that the refund should be reduced.

Suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sit back and relax and be patient:

Will my amended return be processed faster if I file electronically? (updated January 2, 2024)

The current processing time is more than 20 weeks for both paper and electronically filed amended returns. See our processing status dashboard for timeframes.

Additionally, calling the IRS will not speed up return processing. Our phone and walk-in representatives can only research the status of your amended return 20 weeks or more after you've mailed it; or if Where's My Amended Return? itself has recommended you contact us.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I don't see any connection between the ID verification and the door purchase date.  It's not like contractors are reporting these to IRS in real time.  I would wait for the refund to be paid, then file the amended return with the $250.  The interest is likely to be less than the amount IRS bothers to bill.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

In prior years IRS has said to expect an additional 9weeks waiting once the ID verification has been completed....are you there yet?  Id wait it out.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

"On 3/18/2024 the taxpayer received Notice 5071C requesting ID verification.  That was taken care of immediately."

@Just-Lisa-Now-  asked, "In prior years IRS has said to expect an additional 9 weeks waiting once the ID verification has been completed....are you there yet?"

If you had more experience breeding dogs you'd be better at figuring nine weeks.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

9 weeks was what they said in prior years,  theyre at the 10 week mark now...Id wait it out.

Bert0611
Level 3

The problem is I am being told that it will take 180 days.  When I have questioned why that long I don't get any answer.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

What kind of answer could the IRS give you that would calm your nerves?

Slava Ukraini!
Bert0611
Level 3

I would like to know why it would take 180 days.  I know that the norm is 10 weeks or so but they are saying 6 months.  That's crazy.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

thats so you'll quit calling and be excited and happy when it arrives sooner!  😂

sjrcpa
Level 15

There is nothing you can do to speed it up.

None of us know why it is 180 days now.

Ex-AllStar