Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040 transmitted with wrong W2

valentma30
Level 2

Good Afternoon;

A customer send me a picture of his "W2" but it was the prior year what he sent by mistake not the 

2020 one, and I E-file the 1040.  This is the first time that this happen to me, What can I do to fix it?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If it gets rejected you could fix and resubmit.  

If its accepted, you'll have to wait for the end of March and Efile an amended return, may have to pay back some of the refund or may get more refund depending on the 2020 W2 and how different it is from 2019.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If it gets rejected you could fix and resubmit.  

If its accepted, you'll have to wait for the end of March and Efile an amended return, may have to pay back some of the refund or may get more refund depending on the 2020 W2 and how different it is from 2019.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm guessing the next time it happens, you will look closer at the picture the client sends 😀

As a side note, I hate when clients do that. Most of the time it takes a day and a half to try to figure out what the W-2 says because its a crappy copy.  Good thing I have a team of professionals standing by to help me figure them out -------------- their day job is interpreting hieroglyphics over in the Egyptian pyramids.

Slava Ukraini!
valentma30
Level 2

Hi Lisa,  thank you so much for your prompt response I'll appreciate, unfortunately for me was accepted, so if you don't mind I will like to ask you something just for review and make sure about the process because I don't want to mess up everything.  First I will going to make a new 1040 with the corrected information and print it for reference and prepare a 1040X to amend the bad one and E-file by the end of march, it can be E-file by that date?, because I heard that it need to be send it by regular mail.  I just amend on or two returns a long time ago, and my boss was the one that review and do everything else, now I am working by my self, just to make sure about the process.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Starting with 2019 returns, 1040X can be efiled.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

How to amend a return:

You may want to save a copy of the original for your records, I personally dont keep a computer copy of the original, its wrong, so I have no use for that anymore. I keep a paper copy in the client file, or a PDF of the original.

Open the return as originally filed.

Open and activate the 1040x by marking the correct year at the top of the form, switch over to the state (if applicable) and activate that amended form as well by entering the year in at the top.

Now go back and make the needed changes on the federal return, and then go to the 1040x and write in the explanation of what's being changed.

Now switch over to the state return and open their amended form and you should have a checkbox to carry the same explanation over to the state, you may need to edit that for state purposes, depending on your explanation.

You should be good to go now.

NOTE: If this is a year/situation that the amended return can be Efiled, you'll need to check the Amended EF box on the Federal Information worksheet.

valentma30
Level 2

Thank you for your help, I appreciate.