Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1033 Condemnation/Exchange in ProSeries

sef6476
Level 2

Hello,

A commerical building and land was condemned by the state in 2023.  Taxpayer is trying to locate a property to purchase with the money from the condemnation, but hasn't found one yet.  I know the gain is deferred until a new property is purchased, but how do I reflect 0 gain on the 2023 tax return?

Thank you!

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
sjrcpa
Level 15

By not reporting the proceeds.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had one of these back in 2017? I think I pushed it in and out with manual entries on the 4797, showed the disposal/gain then deferred it on the line beneath it showing the 1033 deferral as the description.

Just so if anyone ever looks back at that year's return they can see that's when it happened.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sef6476
Level 2

Do I not need to report the disposition at all?  or just override the gain to 0?  There is no where to add "Deferred Gain per IRC 1033".  When I remove the assets from ProSeries, a gain is automatically calculated on 4797 and it will look fishy if I just override the gain with 0.

0 Cheers
sef6476
Level 2

I also received a 1099-S with the proceeds on it.  I can't just ignore that.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can make a manual entry on the 4797 that offsets the gain that's showing.

dascpa
Level 11

I did one a few years ago and it was recommended to me to attach a note (not that it would be read but it's documented).  My note follows:

Taxpayer incurred an involuntary conversion on 05/30/2016 with the insurance settlement occurring on 08/15/2017. The taxpayer has made a deemed 1033 election to defer any potential gain until replacement property is purchased or constructed.

sef6476
Level 2

Thank you for helping.  By making a manual entry, do you just mean to 0 out the gain?

0 Cheers
sef6476
Level 2

Did you show the gain, but then 0 it out below on the 4797?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres a place on the 4797 that you can make a manual entry...below the line showing the gain, I put a reversing entry that said 1033 gain deferral and wiped it out.

I cant remember the client name or Id go back and look at it again, but the very top of the 4797 in that smart worksheet, you can type in a manual entry.

sef6476
Level 2

Thank you all.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

When all else fails, try to follow the instructions in Pub 544.

"Election to postpone gain. Report your election to postpone reporting your gain, along with all necessary details, on a statement attached to your return for the tax year in which you realize the gain."

Don't play the "trick the IRS computer" game. Why do people think it's acceptable to sign returns with fantasy numbers?  Don't zero out anything on a 4797.  You're probably going to have to file an amended return eventually, anyway.  Probably, by the time the 1099-S gets matched to the return.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

why would an amended return need to be filed?

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

You have to file an amended return to reconcile the deferred gain to the actual gain and to report the basis of the replacement property.

0 Cheers
sef6476
Level 2

I think you do that on the election form on the return for the year you purchase the replacement property.