Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% penalty on 401K withdrawals due to pandemic.

jeffferysr
Level 1

A tax client took his 401K retirement funds as a lump sum because he lost his job due to the pandemic. His 1099-R shows the income tax taken out,but it includes the 10% penalty.  While preparing his return the 10% penalty was deducted from his refund.  How or what do I do to get that  penalty taken off.  What form do I need to use or how do I go about doing this? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Marsha2020
Level 4

The 8915 form for the pandemic is not ready.  The 1099R will not show a 10% penalty, but will instead show the federal and state taxes withheld.  This is separate from the 10% penalty.

dkh
Level 15

on the 1099R worksheet go to Qualified Disaster Distribution Smart Worksheet  check your box for coronavirus distribution.   You'll also need to complete Form 5329 and 8915-E (which is not final yet)

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The form 8915-E to indicate this is a qualified disaster distribution is scheduled for 2/25. You also need the form 5329, because you need to show if the tax is being spread over three years or all in this one year.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.