Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to Enter Mailing Address on Prior Year Return

tccpg289
Level 4

TaxPayer X currently lives in Illinois and is filing prior year returns.

All IRS correspondence and refunds should go to Illinois address.

However, in the prior years, X lived in different states, such as Georgia.

How do you distinguish in ProConnect between the current mailing address (Illinois) vs. the address at the time of the return (2018, Georgia)?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

No, but check the Profile to see what states are selected from that return each year. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

You should use the filing center for the address at the time of filing. Ultimately it really makes no difference where the tax return goes, as long as it is an address that is still open or still has a valid change of address.  

If you are e-filing, it makes absolutely no difference.

If you are going to mail, I like to put each return in a separate envelope with the year and form number on the envelope. Then put all those envelopes inside a large envelope (e.g. USPS Priority mail envelope) with a short cover letter - PLEASE PROCESS THESE RETURNS AT THE SAME TIME. 

tccpg289
Level 4

I am referring more in terms of a refund.

If a refund is owed, and the address on the front page is an old address, is there a location to enter the current mailing address?

The return will be eFiled, but the refund will NOT be direct deposited.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The address on the front of the return should be where the taxpayer lives now.

Ex-AllStar
tccpg289
Level 4

Is the software then going to prompt a state return for that address, even though the taxpayer did not live there in that year? He lived in Alabama in 2018, lives in Illinois now, so he only needs to file Alabama for 2018. That is my overall concern.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

No, but check the Profile to see what states are selected from that return each year.