Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment of Foreign Capital Loss

cpa41
Level 2

My client had a foreign capital loss on a property internationally and I was wondering where I should include that on his US Tax Return (he's a US resident). Also could that loss be used to offset domestic capital gains? Your help is much appreciated. Thank you so much.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

d-3 was just to emphasis the personal use aspect. It goes on Schedule D, just like any stock sale. I am assuming that there is no 1099B, so indicate that to get it to end up on the correct page of the 8949

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

It would generally go on Schedule D, like the sale of any property. Is it personal use property? 

See page D-3 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sd.pdf

cpa41
Level 2

Nope it is not personal use property but an investment property. I didn’t see on D-3 where it says it can go on schedule d.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

d-3 was just to emphasis the personal use aspect. It goes on Schedule D, just like any stock sale. I am assuming that there is no 1099B, so indicate that to get it to end up on the correct page of the 8949

cpa41
Level 2

Gotcha, thanks sir! Appreciate it so much!!

0 Cheers