Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virginia Underpayment Penalty triggered

Babak
Level 3

My client has made VA estimated tax payments of $ 39,884 (in total) during 2023. His total VA tax liability came to $43,362 meaning he only owes $3,386. His returns however shows $1,710 for underpayment. I double checked and made sure I'd entered his estimated payments. I don't know where this penalty is coming, aside from the amount that is very high compared to what he owes, since he made estimated payments, he should not owe any penalties.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Were the estimates paid evenly during the year or did the client pay more at the end of the year which means he was short early on?

Slava Ukraini!
Babak
Level 3

He missed the first payment and paid double for the last one. Would that trigger this much of penalty?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

That could do it.

Slava Ukraini!
Babak
Level 3

But isn't the penalty a lot compared to the amount paid and owed?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Review the computation of penalty assessed for each quarter and check that the dates and amounts used in these calculations are correct.

If your client was paid large amounts of income in certain quarters, you could then look at mitigating the penalty by annualization.  But based on the limited info you provided, that may not even be necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is last year's VA tax entered? If 2023 estimates are more than last year's tax the penalty could be reduced.

Yes $1700 sounds high for the amount owed. As Jensen said, look at the calculation on the penalty form.

Ex-AllStar