Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you generate Form 8959? When I check box to force Form 8959 to refund excess medicare withholding, the program says a paper return will be required.

tjwoods69
Level 2

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You shouldn't have to force a form...medicare has an unlimited income limit, in what situation do you have excess medicare to be refunded?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

The Medicare tax rate is 1.45% for the employer and employee each. For the Additional Medicare Tax, the income threshold is $200,000, at which point the 0.9% above that amount is withheld from the employees' income.

An employer must withhold Additional Medicare Tax from wages it pays to an individual in excess of $200,000 in a calendar year, without regard to the individual’s filing status or wages paid by another employer.

Your employer must withhold Additional Medicare Tax on wages it pays to you in excess of $200,000 in a calendar year. Your employer cannot honor a request to cease withholding Additional Medicare Tax if it is required to withhold it. You will claim credit for any withheld Additional Medicare Tax against the total tax liability shown on your individual income tax return (Form 1040 or 1040-SR).

An employee can credit any withheld additional Medicare tax against the total tax liability shown on his income tax return by filing Form 8959, Additional Medicare Tax, with Form 1040.

If you owe this tax, file Form 8959, with your tax return.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Rock987
Level 1

I use TurboTax Premier.  I am Married. My Salary is $228,000. My employer (as you said) automatically withheld additional Medicare of 0.09% on 28,000. (aka amount over $200,000) = $252 too much.

Since the the Threshold for Married is $250,000 - I should not have paid the additional Medicare.

TurboTax did not generate form 8959.

How come? 

Where is the $252 overpayment show in TurboTax and how do I get it back?

0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

-Betty Jo