Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the 8829 to stop double-posting to Schedule A and doubling the mortgage interest and real estate taxes?

jenwhiskeyman
Level 1

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

Don't put it in twice?

Is there only one 8829?

Did you also enter it into Schedule A?

This does not sound like a software issue, it is a "I'm new to the software!" issue. 

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
George4Tacks
Level 15

Here is my best guess, based on your question.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/taxation/enter-business-use-home-expenses-s...

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
jenwhiskeyman
Level 1

Yes, I am new to the software, but I am not sure where I said it was a software issue. I just didn't know how to get the software to stop doubling the mortgage interest and real estate taxes. I wasn't clear in that it was two businesses in one space so two Form 8829s. That was my fault. I had been "fighting" this issue for hours. 

When the 8829 transfers the data to the Sched A it was pulling the full amounts of the indirect expenses from both, not just 50% from each.  But I did finally figure the issue out.

On the 8829 screen when scrolling to the bottom it asks for "Allocation of Indirect Expenses (one home/multiple businesses)." I had Home 1 selected on Business 1 and Home 2 selected on Business 2. I decided to see what would happen if I switched them up and it worked! The other thing I needed to do was make sure I put the percentage in right under that so it took the correct percentage towards each business. 

0 Cheers