Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do find a complete EIN for a company when it is hidden on a Wage and Income Transcript?

prkwork
Level 4
Taxpayer no longer has contact with the company, doesn't remember the company name, and does not have the W-2.
0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

Ask for an unmasked Transcript.

Ex-AllStar
prkwork
Level 4

When I have the client log in to his IRS account and we go to Transcripts, there are choices of the type of document (e.g., Wage and Income Transcript) to download or print, but I do not see an option anywhere to choose an unmasked version. Can you direct me?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you have to make the dreaded phone call to get an unmasked one.

Ex-AllStar
prkwork
Level 4

I hope that I can avoid the "dreaded phone call" to the IRS. Rather, I am filing a Form 8821 with the IRS through eServices, which should have them issue me a CAF Number. With that, I'll go into eServices and try there to download the Wage and Income Statement. Maybe then it will come unmasked. We shall see.

0 Cheers
prkwork
Level 4

Filing a Form 8821 through eServices did get me a CAF number, rather promptly I was pleased to see. Then, logging into my IRS eServices account, I could use the CAF number and see and print unmasked Transcripts without having to call the IRS.

0 Cheers
taxpro7
Level 1

Hi, I came across your thread regarding transcripts today wondering the same thing--How to get unmasked transcripts for completion of a client's tax return. I noticed you said through e-services you received a CAF number rather quickly.  I'm wondering how did you request one? I could not find how to electronically request one?

0 Cheers
prkwork
Level 4

You have to do it by mail or fax:

To obtain a CAF number in your name:
  • Write “none” in the CAF number field on Form 2848 or Form 8821.
  • Have your client sign the form.
  • Mail or fax the signed form to the appropriate CAF unit.

The IRS is prompt on these.

taxpro7
Level 1

Thank you--I may be overthinking this.  I was issued a CAF# previously, but specifically under my individual name. NOT the firm name.  It must make a difference I'm assuming, because when I log into my e-services account to pull anything using that CAF# it results in a CAF error not authorized.  I just assumed I needed another one specifically with the firm name on it.  This has become a nightmare.

0 Cheers
prkwork
Level 4

Yes, if you do your tax work under a firm name, you need a CAF# using the firm's name.

0 Cheers